Safety Signs News

Worker slip costs him his fingertips

17th June 2014 | Health and Safety Signs

Posted by Jason Nicholls

A contract electrician working for Leeds-based Country Style Foods Ltd was injured in a fall that cost him two of his fingertips. The man slipped on an icy floor, and caught his fingers in a moving conveyor belt.

He had completed a job at a Country Style Foods freezer and was cleaning up after himself. The floor of the room was covered with ice due to a malfunction, causing him to slip and fall. He put his right hand out to steady himself, and caught it on a moving conveyor belt.

The Health and Safety Executive investigated and found that the firm had removed the safety guards from the conveyor, which would have prevented the accident. The electrician lost the tips of two of his fingers and injured a third.

As a result, Country Style Foods was charged with breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. It pleaded guilty, and was fined £8,500 with £794 costs.ADNFCR-2754-ID-801728671-ADNFCR


There are no results for this search


Related Articles

Add £50 for free Standard shipping

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009 Mew Media Ltd.