Safety Signs News

Worker injured after falling headfirst through roof light

27th February 2014 | Health and Safety Signs

Posted by Nicole Stevens

J Smart & Co (Contractors) PLC, an Edinburgh firm, has been prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after one of its employees fell headfirst through a roof light, striking a table five metres below.

Kieran Thomson was working on a roof in the firm's plant yard when he caught his heel on a domed plastic roof light. He fell headfirst through the light, and his head hit the table of an industrial bandsaw on the way down.

He suffered bruising on his left arm, leg and side, a cut to the back of his head and cuts to his legs. The HSE found that no measures, such as perimeter barriers or safety signage, had been put in place to prevent people falling through the lights.

J Smart & Co pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 4 of the Work at Height Regulations 2005. It was fined £1,600. HSE inspector Isabelle Martin said: "This was an entirely avoidable incident… It is fortunate that Mr Thomson survived such a fall."ADNFCR-2754-ID-801698289-ADNFCR

RESULTS: 2302 PRODUCTS

There are no results for this search

RESULTS: 2302 PRODUCTS

Related Articles


Add £50 for a 5% discount

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009-2020 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009-2020 Mew Media Ltd.