Safety Signs News

Worker burns lead to council fine

30th August 2013 | Warning Signs

Posted by Jason Nicholls

An incident that resulted in two workers receiving flash burns has led to South Lanarkshire Council being fined £35,000.

It happened when Anthony Zambonini, now 59, and David Leven, now 33, were digging a ditch prior to laying a drainpipe in East Kilbride on July 15th 2009.

At one point, Mr Zambonini thought he had hit a rock and picked up a steel bar to try and break up the ground, but unknowingly hitting an 11,000 volt live electrical cable, which fractured and gave him an electric shock, causing flash burns to his arms and face. Mr Leven, who was standing nearby, sustained a flash burn to his left eye.

An investigation by the HSE found that the incident was the result of a combination of inadequate risk assessment, lack of a safe system of work, and a failure to provide adequate information such as safety signage and proper training.

HSE inspector Mark Carroll commented: "South Lanarkshire Council understood the risks of striking underground services during excavation works and yet still failed to implement its own recommended system of work for identifying and avoiding buried services."ADNFCR-2754-ID-801631743-ADNFCR


There are no results for this search


Related Articles

Add £50 for free Standard shipping

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009 Mew Media Ltd.