Safety Signs News

Man left disabled after silo accident

3rd December 2013 | Health and Safety Signs

Posted by Jason Nicholls.

A poorly-guarded machine was the cause of a workplace accident that cost an employee his fingers. Kevin Sharp, from Castleford, is now classed as 50 per cent disabled thanks to the incident.

Mr Sharp was cleaning the slide valve of a silo with a rotating stirrer. Normally, the stirrer would not be able to operate when the valve was open, however a piece of metal had been attached over one of the contacts of a switch.

This allowed the stirrer to keep moving, and it caught on Mr Sharp’s fingers as he reached in to clear a blockage.

Regain Polymers Ltd, from Allerton Bywater, was fined £8,000 and ordered to pay £634 in court costs after admitting a breach of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998.

Kate Dixon, an inspector for the Health and Safety Executive, said: “Although some effort had been made by Regain Polymers to address access to the silo stirrer, it was not adequate and was easily defeated.”ADNFCR-2754-ID-801667973-ADNFCR


There are no results for this search


Related Articles

Add £50 for free Standard shipping

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009 Mew Media Ltd.