Safety Signs News

Leisure centre fined after sodium hydroxide burns

9th December 2013 | Warning Signs

A leisure centre in Essex has been fined after a child was burned by drain cleaner. Great Dunmow Leisure Centre was prosecuted after an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that safety measures had been ignored.

A two-year-old boy was walking with his father through the changing rooms when he slipped and fell on a drain cover. The drain had recently been cleaned with a substance containing sodium hydroxide, which is highly corrosive.

The child suffered third-degree burns as a result of the fall, and required a ten-day stay in hospital.

The HSE found that there were no warning signs making people aware of the hazard, nor had any staff members been adequately trained in the use of chemicals. A safe system of work for cleaning the drains had not been established.

Leisure Connection Ltd, the firm that owns the leisure centre, was fined £45,000 with costs of £20,746 after admitting breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.ADNFCR-2754-ID-801670089-ADNFCR


There are no results for this search


Related Articles

Add £50 for free Standard shipping

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009 Mew Media Ltd.