Safety Signs News

Generator safety failings lead to carbon monoxide incident

17th February 2014 | Health and Safety Signs

A Croydon-based security company has been prosecuted after a petrol generator caused an employee to be overcome by carbon monoxide (CO) fumes. The generator and employee were stationed at a disused nursing home when the incident occurred.

The worker was guarding the site overnight, with the petrol generator provided as a power source. It had been placed inside the lobby, with a warning sign saying "When running the generator please keep this door open".

While safety signs are necessary to ensure employees are aware of risks, in this case it was misleading. Even with the door open, the generator was still in a location that allowed the room to fill with CO.

Health and Safety Executive inspector Melvyn Stancliffe said: "The bottom line here is that the generator should not have been used inside the building, even with the door open. Petrol generators must only be used in a well-ventilated area"

Anchor Services (GB) Limited was found guilty in absentia of breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. It was fined £20,000 and ordered to pay £35,656 in costs.ADNFCR-2754-ID-801694046-ADNFCR


There are no results for this search


Related Articles

Add £50 for free Standard shipping

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009 Mew Media Ltd.