Safety Signs News

Dairy farm workers badly scalded

10th March 2014 | Health and Safety Signs

Posted by Nicole Stevens

Two workers have been badly injured after they opened a valve on a 600-litre tank that caused scalding water to shower them. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the employees had not been properly informed about how to clean the apparatus, which caused the incident.

It occurred at Meadow Foods Ltd in Marlston-cum-Lache. The employees were cleaning the tank, and this required a series of complicated valve changes.

While doing this, a valve was released that sent compressed air shooting into the tank, causing water at temperatures of 70 degrees Celsius to rain down on the two workers.

One employee suffered burns to his left arm, head and lower back, and the other was burned all over her body. The HSE found that there were no written instructions, safety signs or diagrams that informed of how to change the valves, which heavily contributed to the incident.

Meadow Foods Ltd pleaded guilty to single breaches of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 on 6 March 2014. It was fined £54,000 and ordered to pay costs of £18,553.ADNFCR-2754-ID-801701683-ADNFCR


There are no results for this search


Related Articles

Add £50 for a 5% discount

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009-2021 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009-2021 Mew Media Ltd.