Safety Signs News

Caterers fined after gas explosion

26th June 2014 | Warning Signs

Posted by Ben Alexander

A Scottish firm has been fined after an explosion at a hotel in which three people were injured. An employee of Instant Catering Maintenance Ltd (ICM), Neil Coffield - who was fully trained and certified to perform gas work - was purging the system when the explosion occurred.

Mr Coffield was purging the gas system to remove air from the pipes. A barmaid noticed the warning signs of an explosion when she smelled gas, but this was too late to prevent an explosion. Three people ended up injured as a result.

The Health and Safety Executive investigated and found that the gas system - which ICM installed - in the hotel was unsafe. It had not been fitted with regulators to ensure safe purging of the system, which allowed gas to build up to unsafe levels.

ICM pleaded guilty to a single breach of Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. It was fined £7,500.ADNFCR-2754-ID-801731201-ADNFCR


There are no results for this search


Related Articles

Add £50 for a 5% discount

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009-2021 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009-2021 Mew Media Ltd.