Safety Signs News

Workers treated for carbon monoxide poisoning due to poor maintenance on boiler

8th April 2011 | Health and Safety Signs

Posted by Nicole Stevens

It is important to follow safety signs to ensure that workers are not put in any danger.

Three workers had to be treated for carbon monoxide poisoning after poor maintenance left a boiler pumping out high levels of the toxic gas.

Newlincs Services Ltd was fined £5,000 and ordered to pay £3,580 in costs after Huddersfield Magistrates' Court heard that a door seal and lock which was meant to keep the gas contained was damaged, meaning that poisonous fumes were transferred around.

Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspector David Stewart, said: "Carbon monoxide can be a silent killer in the home and, as this case demonstrates, also in the workplace.

"It is essential that any appliances such as gas boilers and heaters, which can generate this gas, are maintained on a regular basis to ensure they are operating efficiently and safely."

HSE figures show that there were 23 fatal injuries and 2,635 major injuries to workers in Yorkshire and the Humber in 2009/2010, highlighting the need for health and safety signs in the workplace. ADNFCR-2754-ID-800493176-ADNFCR


There are no results for this search


Related Articles

Add £50 for free Standard shipping

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009 Mew Media Ltd.