Workers exposed to asbestos in Manchester
Posted by Jason Nicholls
An asbestos specialist has been fined after workers were exposed to dangerous fibres at a Manchester college.
Steven Kelly was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after three men were seen without adequate protective clothing in Trafford College, Stretford.
Winsulate attempted to remove asbestos but ignored the company's procedures on working with the substance.
HSE inspector Laura Moran said: "Asbestos is responsible for thousands of deaths in the UK every year but it only becomes dangerous when it is broken up and fibres are released into the air."
Ms Moran explained that asbestos can only be removed by specialist contractors, adding that Mr Kelly put workers at risk by not adhering to safety procedures.
Roughly 4,000 people die annually due to breathing in asbestos fibres, meaning it is the biggest single cause of work-related deaths in Britain.
Fibres can become lodged in the lungs, causing lung cancer or other diseases.
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs