Safety Signs News

Workers exposed to asbestos for seven years

23rd December 2013 | Warning Signs

A health board has been fined after multiple workers were exposed to asbestos over a seven-year period, despite being warned on three occasions that the area was “high risk”.

The asbestos was located in Southern General Hospital in Glasgow. Three surveys determined that there were high levels of asbestos in the ceiling of a plant and switch room that required “removal and environmental cleaning”.

However, Greater Glasgow Health Board had taken no such action over seven years. Many workers had become exposed to the asbestos, as without warning signs they were unaware of the material.

Greater Glasgow Health Board pleaded guilty to one breach of Regulation 4(10)(b) of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2006, and was fined £10,000 as a result.

Aileen Jardine, an inspector for the Health and Safety Executive, said:  “It is important that exposure to asbestos fibres is kept to an absolute minimum. Glasgow Health Board failed in its duty to properly manage the risks of asbestos in its premises.”ADNFCR-2754-ID-801675455-ADNFCR


There are no results for this search


Related Articles

Add £50 for free Standard shipping

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009 Mew Media Ltd.