Worker suffers amputated finger in machine accident
A man suffered an amputated finger after it was crushed by a 40-tonne power press in an incident which underlines the value of safety signs.
The worker, who was employed by solenoid manufacturer HE & BS Benson, injured his right index finger after he leaned into the machine to reach for a component.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) revealed that the accident could have been prevented as the machine did not have the required safety guards fitted.
As a result, the Newmarket-based firm pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was fined £8,000 and ordered to pay £4,356 in costs.
"Power presses are some of the most dangerous machines used in industry, with a history of serious incidents," said HSE inspector Glyn Davies.
"A man has suffered a painful and debilitating injury because a relatively simple process of maintaining correct safety guarding was not followed."
Earlier this month, Corus UK was fined £5,000 after one of its workers suffered leg injuries in an accident at a steel factory in East Cleveland.
Posted by Ben Alexander
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs