Worker left partially blind after roof fall
The need to have relevant warning signs in place when working at height has been highlighted after a worker fell eight feet through a barn roof in Greater Manchester.
David Pass was removing corrugated panels from the roof of the former riding stable when he fell and as a result suffered serious injuries to his head and back.
Meanwhile, he was also left partially blind in one eye and was in a coma for several days.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) looked into the incident and decided to fine the three men responsible a total of Ã‚Â£5,000.
It was discovered that Mr Pass had not been provided with any protection or scaffolding, while he was also forced to balance on building's steel frames when removing the panels.
Ian Betley, a construction inspector for HSE in Greater Manchester, said: "Workers at the site were expected to balance dangerously on the steel structure, while they knocked through bolts on fragile sheets. Clearly this was very dangerous.
"This case should act as a warning to construction companies about the dangers their employees and contractors face when they carry out work at height."
Neil Jamieson, a principal inspector for the Health and Safety Executive in the north-west, stated earlier this year that hundreds of accidents occur each year involving workers falling from height.
Posted by Nicole Stevens
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs