Worker injures finger in bagging machine incident
A man from Skegness suffered a deep laceration to his middle finger after an accident involving a defective bagging machine.
The 50-year-old was working for pet food firm Fold Hill Foods on January 9th when he opened the door on the front of the machine, which should have invoked a safety cut-out switch.
However, it coincidentally came to a pre-programmed halt and the man, not realising the safety device was broken, attempted to test the tension of one of the belts.
The machine restarted at the same time and his hand was pulled into the mechanism, causing injuries which rendered him unable to work for a lengthy period.
Fold Hill was subsequently fined £1,250 and ordered to pay costs of £1,545 after pleading guilty to breaching Regulation 11(3)(c) of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998.
"Protection devices are there for a very good reason - to stop accidents such as this occurring," said Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspector Scott Wynne after the hearing at Boston Magistrates' Court.
"I hope this case serves a reminder to other companies of the need to ensure that such devices are in good working order and are efficiently maintained."
The HSE has previously warned companies about the dangers of machinery and urged bosses to ensure they are checked regularly and have appropriate warning signs.
Posted by Jason Nicholls
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs