Safety Signs News

Welsh firm fined after worker loses finger

7th June 2013 | Health and Safety Signs

Posted by Ben Alexander

A Welsh business has been fined after an employee lost a finger in unguarded machinery.

Fifty-three-year-old Brian Allen has suffered continuing pain and discomfort in one hand since the incident, where he attempted to feed metal sheets onto a conveyor on January 25th 2011.

HSE inspector Paul Cartwright, speaking after the hearing, said: “Risk assessments by Crabtree identified that the conveyor could cause injury and a warning was included in the operating manual, but they nonetheless supplied the machine without adequate guarding.

"Involving workers in the risk assessment process is crucial. Had the employees been consulted by either company it would have been apparent that hand feeding of sheets onto the conveyor took place."

Crabtree of Gateshead of the Team Valley Trading Estate, Gateshead,which supplied the machine, was fined £3,000 with costs of £14,570 after pleading guilty breaching of Regulation 11(1) of the Supply of Machinery (Safety) Regulations 1992.

An investigation found that Crabtree had provided and fitted the machine without suitable guards.ADNFCR-2754-ID-801596182-ADNFCR


There are no results for this search


Related Articles

Add £50 for free Standard shipping

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009 Mew Media Ltd.