Warning signs importance highlighted after college breaches safety laws
Posted by Ben Alexander.
The importance of health and safety signage has been highlighted after a Chelmsford college was fined for potentially endangering one of its students.
This week, Chelmsford Magistrates Court heard how a 19-year-old man was allowed to use a baling machine that had no guarding while undertaking practical work at Writtle College in August last year.
It was part of a six-month project at the college's farm.
After an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), it was found that there was a lack of training, monitoring and supervision in place, and that the machine had been used many times in the past without protective guarding.
The college, situated on Lordship Lane in the town, was fined a total of £12,000 and ordered to pay £1,986.65 costs.
"As an agricultural college, training the farmers of the future, Writtle should take its health and safety responsibilities very seriously. The farming students that graduate from the college are entering an industry which, according to HSE statistics released last month, is now officially the UK's most dangerous industry," HSE inspector Keith Waller said.
Between April 2009 and March this year, 38 people died on British farms.
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs