Safety Signs News

Upholsterers exposed to deadly asbestos for five years

20th January 2014 | Warning Signs

Posten by Jason Nicholls

A firm in Rochdale has been fined after a Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspection discovered it had been exposing its employees to potentially-fatal asbestos for five years.

Mansfield Soft Furnishings Ltd, a furniture re-upholstery business, had moved into a storage space in September 2007. The roof of this space contained asbestos, and moving furniture in the area would have thrown up clouds of dust containing fibres of the hazardous chemical.

A HSE inspector visited the site in June 2012, noting what looked like asbestos in the roof and that the company had not had an asbestos survey carried out. A survey was ordered that discovered large amounts of the material.

The HSE banned access to the building until the asbestos could be removed, but the company director David Mansfield and another employee ignored the warning signs and entered it in order to take some furniture to the client.

Mansfield Soft Furnishings pleaded guilty to two breaches of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, and was fined  £30,000. Mr Mansfield himself was fined another £10,000 for breaching the HSE’s prohibition notice by entering the building.

The co-defendants were also ordered to pay £20,000 costs.ADNFCR-2754-ID-801683895-ADNFCR


There are no results for this search


Related Articles

Add £50 for free Standard shipping

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009 Mew Media Ltd.