Tool manufacturer fined after employee loses finger
A tool manufacturing firm from Burnley has been fined after one of its workers was forced to amputate a finger following a factory accident.
The 30-year-old was using a piece of emery cloth to reduce the size of a metal component on a metalworking lathe on April 1st 2009 when it became trapped in a machine.
Reedley Magistrates' Court heard that the man was wearing a glove during his shift at the Belle Vue Mill site which pulled his hand into the rotating mechanism, crushing his finger.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that his employer, CMA Tools, had not given him suitable training for carrying out the procedure.
The company pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was fined £1,000 and ordered to pay costs of the same amount.
"CMA Tools should have provided a safe system of work and the appropriate training," said HSE inspector Imran Siddiqui.
"Workers should have been instructed to use a suitable tool to handle emery cloth so that their hands could not become trapped."
Earlier this week, John Doyle Construction was hit with a £2,000 fine and ordered to pay £17,466 in costs after one of its workers suffered serious injuries when he was hit by falling steel beams.
Posted by Nicole Stevens
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs