Thurrock Council faces fine following asbestos failures
Posted by Jason Nicholls
Thurrock Council has been fined after admitting failures in how it manages asbestos.
Even though the authority was made aware of asbestos worries at Stifford Clays Junior School, Basildon Crown Court heard that no action was taken by the authority.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) served a Prohibition Notice on 24th April 2010, which banned entry to the boiler house until it was made safe.
It was fined £35,000 and ordered to pay £15,326 in costs.
HSE inspector Samantha Thomson said: "At Stifford Clays Junior School, the caretaker regularly worked in the boiler room with dust and debris over a period of six years. She will have been exposed to asbestos fibres and now faces an anxious wait to see if it results in any long-term health issues."
Last month, the HSE brought a prosecution to an industrial property owner in Newport, who exposed untrained personnel to hazardous asbestos fibres.
Mr Nasimul Karbani from Middlesex employed two workers before helping them to remove rubbish and debris.
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs