Suffolk firm fined after worker's thumb sawn off
Posted by Nicole Stevens.
The importance of construction signs has been highlighted after a firm was fined because one of its workers had his finger and thumb sawn off in a moulding machine.
A 24-year-old joiner was shaping a piece of wood at the workshop of G J Bream & Son Ltd in Bury St Edmonds in June last year, when his left hand was drawn into the blades.
His thumb and index finger on the left hand were amputated, with severe cuts to the remaining fingers, Bury St Edmunds Magistrates' Court heard. Plastic surgeons re-attached the thumb and finger, but the worker will only have half their use.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found the company did not have the correct guards, known as 'jigs', to keep worker's hands away from the machinery, with a lack of adequate risk assessment or supervision in place.
The firm was fined £10,000 and ordered to pay £4026.55 in costs, after admitting breaching section two of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
"This was an horrific incident which has left a young man with permanent damage to his left hand," HSE inspector, Ivan Brooke, said.
"Incidents like this are entirely preventable with the right training, supervision and equipment."
In 2009/2010, two people were killed while at work in Suffolk.
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs