Stationery manufacturer punished after worker suffers electrocution
A Wembley-based stationery manufacturer has been fined after one of its employees was left permanently disabled in a workplace accident.
The man was attempting to resolve a fault on a plastic welding machine when his right hand was electrocuted by components containing several thousand volts.
He was forced to undergo skin grafts during a 14-day stint in hospital and has been unable to work ever since as he has not regained full use of the hand.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the appropriate safety signs and guard panels, which could have prevented the incident, had been removed.
The man's employer, Chart Design Ltd, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was fined £4,000 and ordered to pay £6,330 in costs.
"A man's life has been turned upside down because of entirely preventable and basic safety failings," said HSE inspector Kerry Williams.
"It is the responsibility of all managers to make sure that all maintenance work is properly planned and recorded and that adequate guards are fitted to all machinery when it is in use."
Last week, construction workers from the north-east attended a range of presentations on safety-related practices at Wynyard Park in Billingham.
Posted by Ben Alexander
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs