Safety Signs News

Staffordshire firm fined after worker loses finger

5th September 2013 | Health and Safety Signs

Posted by Ben Alexander

A Staffordshire furniture business has been fined after a worker lost a finger in an unguarded machine.

The 61-year-old was attempting to clean an edge banding machine when his left hand was caught by a rotating blade.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) discovered that the interlock safety switch on the machine was defeated, enabling access to the machine while the blade was moving.

HSE inspector Wayne Owen said: “HSE produces a wide range of free guidance to assist companies in carrying out risk assessments, and ensuring that woodworking equipment is safe to use and that people are properly trained. In short, what happened to this employee was easily preventable had the company appropriately considered the risks from their work processes.”

Mr Owen also highlighted that the woodworking industry has one of the highest incident rates in manufacturing, indicating the potential dangers for those who do not take sufficient precautions.ADNFCR-2754-ID-801634010-ADNFCR


There are no results for this search


Related Articles

Add £50 for free Standard shipping

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009 Mew Media Ltd.