Security firm fined after guard dies
A security firm from Glasgow has been hit with a £7,000 fine after one of its employees died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The 37-year-old was working as a security guard at a construction site in Hamilton on February 6th 2008 when he inhaled a fatal amount of the toxic gas.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) revealed that the man had not been given suitable instructions for operating a portable power generator.
It was subsequently operated without suitable ventilation by the guard in the on-site flat used by Alpha Group Security employees, which then caused his death.
The company pleaded guilty to breaching Sections 2(1), 2 and 33(a) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 at Hamilton Sheriff Court and was given its fine.
"This tragic incident should never have happened," said HSE inspector Adrian Tinson.
"Responsible management of risk should have ensured the safe set up and use of the portable petrol generator in a well-ventilated area which could have avoided this unnecessary death."
Construction sites are particularly dangerous for employees and the HSE urges firms to use the appropriate safety signs to help warn individuals about the risks.
Posted by Jason Nicholls
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs