Safety Signs News

Safety failure leads to asbestos exposure

18th July 2012 | Health and Safety Signs

Posted by Ben Alexander

A safety failure at a Dorset school has caused people to be exposed to asbestos fibres.

The substance broke out at Sherborne School, after asbestos insulation boards were removed in an unsafe manner, meaning that building contractors and a work experience student were left vulnerable.

Peter Eldridge, the director of the company that was responsible for the project, was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which found that an asbestos survey was not carried out.

The school was also punished, with HSE inspector Joanna Teasdale explaining: "Although Sherborne School was the client, it still had a duty to manage the control of asbestos on its site, and to be aware of the requirements of removing asbestos safely."

Last month, AG&M Ltd was also punished by the HSE after failing to monitor a decontamination unit properly.

The company was working on a renovation project in Warwickshire, where it did not have a trained supervisor.ADNFCR-2754-ID-801409788-ADNFCR


There are no results for this search


Related Articles

Add £50 for free Standard shipping

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009 Mew Media Ltd.