Safe firm fined after worker burned
Posted by Nicole Stevens.
A maker of security safes has been fined after one of its employees was burned while fitting an under-floor safe, highlighting the importance of a safety sign.
The 44-year-old employee of Telford-based SMP Security was using a machine to apply a lining to the safe in June 2008.
When the man came to apply the nylon lining using an adhesive, a flammable atmosphere was created and then ignited when the flocking machine was used, causing second-degree burns to his left hand.
In a prosecution brought by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), SMP Security was fined £2,000 and ordered to pay costs of £6,000.
Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector David Kivlin said the injuries could have been avoided if the firm carried out a proper risk assessment.
"This would have identified several alternatives that could have been easily implemented such as using flocking equipment specifically designed for use in flammable atmospheres, or replacing the flammable adhesive with a water-based version."
Recently, Abacus Chemical, a firm based in Ellesmere Port, was fined after a worker suffered burns to his arms and chest when two chemicals he was mixing together exploded.
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs