Plastics worker dies after firm fails to heed safety signs
A plastics manufacturer from Rochdale has been fined Ã‚Â£140,000 after one of its employees was crushed to death.
The man was cleaning a spillage at Stakehill Industrial Estate in Middleton on July 15th 2005 when a one-and-a-half-tonne wooden pallet of bags fell on him, causing fatal injuries.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) revealed that his employer, TS (UK), had ignored safety signs on the bags and did not have a trained first aider on duty at the time of the incident.
The company pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and Regulation 3(2) of the Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981.
At a Manchester Crown Court hearing, the firm was ordered to pay costs of Ã‚Â£10,588, in addition to its six-figure fine.
"There were labels on the polypropylene bags that made it clear how they should be stored safely but this advice was ignored," said John McGrellis, a principal HSE inspector for Greater Manchester.
"The company didn't provide guidance about how to stack the pallets and no one trained in first aid was on duty to help try to resuscitate [the man] when the pallet fell on him."
Meanwhile, Kristin Swann claimed in a recent article for eHow that restaurants should ensure they have warning signs in place to inform staff of the dangers in their working environment.
Posted by Jason Nicholls
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs