Safety Signs News

Oxford firm fined £100k after scalding incident

25th January 2010 | Health and Safety Signs

An Oxfordshire organisation has been ordered to pay over £100,000 following an incident in which a teenager received severe burns, illustrating the need for health and safety signs.

The accident occurred at a care home on Owens Way in Oxford, when a disabled 18-year-old girl was scalded by bath water which was deemed to be "excessively hot", requiring treatment at a nearby hospital.

At Oxford Crown Court, Lifeways Community Care was ordered to pay the £100,000 fine, in addition to £45,000 in costs.

Health and Safety Executive inspector Nina Judkins commented: "HSE has extensive, freely available guidance on how the risk of scalding can be controlled. If this guidance had been followed then this tragedy would not have happened."

Meanwhile, BAE Systems Land Systems (Munitions and Ordnance) was recently prosecuted at Liverpool Crown Court and ordered to pay £80,000 after an explosion at its site in Lancashire, illustrating the need for warning signs.ADNFCR-2754-ID-19574857-ADNFCR



Related Articles

Add £50 for free Standard shipping

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009 Mew Media Ltd.