Safety Signs News

Nightclub owner prosecuted for asbestos danger

7th April 2011 | Health and Safety Signs

Posted by Nicole Stevens

A recent case of asbestos has highlighted the importance of health and safety signs in the workplace.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has prosecuted a property developed who put his workers at risk by failing to identify asbestos in a building before allowing them to start work.

Workers were instructed to remove spray coating containing amosite (brown asbestos) from steel beams as part of the refurbishment of a nightclub in Wrexham.

But a HSE inspection found that the developer, Michael Murton, had not surveyed the property before work began, leading to unlicensed and uncontrolled removal of the asbestos, and it being spread around the building, putting workers and others at risk.

Mr Murton was given three suspended sentences for breaking the Control of Asbestos Regulations, Environmental Protection Act 1990 and the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

He was also ordered to carry out 200 hours of community service and pay £10,000 in costs.

HSE figures show that asbestos-related diseases cause around 4,000 deaths a year.  ADNFCR-2754-ID-800490844-ADNFCR



Related Articles

Add £50 for free Standard shipping

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009 Mew Media Ltd.