Metal spinning worker loses finger in factory incident
A metal spinning worker lost a finger in an accident involving machinery which his employers knew was defective, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has confirmed.
The incident occurred when the man was resetting a gear cog on September 10th 2008, but Tanfield Metal Spinners were aware that the gears had recently been slipping out of place.
As a result of the injury - which could arguably have been avoided with the use of warning signs - the Washington-based company was fined £2,000 at Sunderland Magistrates' Court and ordered to pay £1,056 in costs.
"This company put its workers at risk by expecting them to operate a defective piece of equipment," said HSE inspector Dr Dave Shallow.
"They should have ensured that a guard was in place at all times to prevent access to dangerous parts of the machine."
Dr Shallow added that the incident, which represented a breach of the Power and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998, "should never have happened".
Last month, Bakkavor Foods was fined £3,000 and ordered to pay costs of £2,000 after one of its workers suffered a crushed hand in similarly dangerous machinery.
Posted by Ben Alexander
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs