Metal recycling company fined Â£8,000 for safety breaches
A metal recycling firm has been hit with a £8,000 fine after one of its employees crushed his hand in a magnet conveyor.
The man was working at European Metal Recycling's premises in North West Quay, Tyne Dock in April 2008 when he was forced to clear a blockage from the machine.
However, when it restarted, the 49-year-old's right hand got caught inside and he suffered four broken fingers, which prevented him from working for six weeks.
An inspection by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) revealed that the system of work and guarding used on the machine - such as relevant safety signs - were inadequate.
The company pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was ordered to pay £5,506.50 in costs on top of the fine.
"[This man] suffered extremely painful and permanent hand injuries, all because European Metal Recycling failed to install simple, protective guards on the machine and ensure a safe system of work was being used," said HSE inspector Bruno Porter.
The HSE was created as part of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and has since absorbed earlier regulatory bodies such as the Factory Inspectorate and the Railway Inspectorate.
Posted by Ben Alexander
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs