Safety Signs News

Man burnt after opening door to 400C oven

19th April 2011 | Health and Safety Signs

Posted by Ben Alexander

Health and safety signs can help to prevent accidents by letting workers know about dangerous machinery.

A worker was seriously burnt on his face, arm, neck and hand after opening a 400C oven which was used to remove paint from metal.

The worker's employers, Enviro-Strip (UK) Ltd, was fined £20,000 in total and ordered to pay £6,491 costs as a result of the incident.

An inspection by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that a safety device which was designed to prevent the door being opened at temperatures over 260 degrees had been deliberately bypassed.

Burton-on-Trent Magistrates' Court heard that Enviro-Strip (UK) Ltd had failed to consider the risk of fire and explosion from the oven, as well as at what temperature the oven was safe to be opened.

Gail Pannell, a HSE inspector, called the incident "very serious" and "entirely preventable".

"When working with potentially dangerous substances at high temperatures, companies must carry out proper risk assessments and set up a safe system of work," she said.

"This includes checking that safety devices are fit for purpose and suitably maintained."

HSE figures show that 152 workers were killed and 121,430 suffered injuries at work between 2009/10. ADNFCR-2754-ID-800506010-ADNFCR


There are no results for this search


Related Articles

Add £50 for free Standard shipping

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009 Mew Media Ltd.