London food firms fined after worker severs fingers
Two food companies based in London have been punished after a man severed three fingers and a thumb in a workplace incident.
The worker was using a food mixing blender at a site in Ealing on April 27th 2009 when his right hand was caught in the rotating blade, causing the amputations.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) revealed that the machine should have stopped automatically when the cleaning hatch was open and that the blender was in poor condition.
Smith Weston, the man's employer, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 at City of London Magistrates' Court and was fined Ã‚Â£7,500.
Kolak Snack Foods, which was responsible for maintaining the machinery, was also fined Ã‚Â£7,500 after admitting to contravening Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.
Both companies were jointly ordered to pay costs of Ã‚Â£3,365.
"This case stresses the need for employers to have safe systems of work in place so that guards and crucial safety devices are working properly, ensuring that dangerous machinery can be used safely," said HSE inspector Saif Deen.
Earlier this month, Arcadia Food Industries was fined Ã‚Â£4,000 after a man suffered a severed finger in an incident involving a spice-mixing machine.
Posted by Nicole Stevens
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs