Loft conversion firm fined for dangerous installation
A loft conversion firm from Gloucestershire left a family at serious risk after carrying out hazardous gas works at their home, it emerged yesterday (May 26th).
JS Loft Conversions and sub-contractor Paul Anthony Jones replaced a chimney with a flexible gas flue pipe at a property in Cheltenham in March 2009.
However, the family were concerned about the safety of the pipe and called out an engineer in December, who ruled that the installation was 'immediately dangerous'.
JS Loft Conversions subsequently pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 8(1) and 8(3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations at a Stroud Magistrates' Court hearing.
The company was fined £2,000 and ordered to pay costs of £1,103.10, while the sub-contractor admitted breaching Regulations 8(1) and 8(2) and was fined £750 and asked to pay £250 in costs.
"This family was at serious risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, because the alterations made to their home were simply not safe," said Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspector Dominic Goacher.
"They expected a professional job to be carried out and instead were left with a new gas flue pipe which might have proved fatal."
Earlier this week, the HSE revealed that it issued 12 enforcement notices and 22 improvement notices during a recent check-up at more than 85 companies in Hartlepool.
Posted by Ben Alexander
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs