Safety Signs News

Landlords reminded of gas safety responsibilities

17th August 2012 | Health and Safety Signs

Posted by Jason Nicholls

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has emphasised the potential dangers of carbon monoxide after a family were affected by the substance.

Gail Calvert, her partner Stephen Clayden and her daughter all inhaled the gas in a property on Iona Close, Catford, but were rescued from further harm after an alarm sounded.

A faulty gas boiler in the flat that was rented from David MacDonald was reported as the source of the leak,  leading to the flats being evacuated.

Mr MacDonald was sentenced to six months in prison, given 200 hours of community service and commanded to pay £8,211 in costs.

HSE inspector Kevin Shorten said: "Carbon monoxide can kill quickly without warning and approximately 20 people die each year as a result of poisoning from gas appliances and flues that haven't been properly installed, maintained or that are poorly ventilated."

It is vital that boilers are serviced regularly in order to spot any potential faults that could lead to an outbreak of carbon monoxide.ADNFCR-2754-ID-801431017-ADNFCR


There are no results for this search


Related Articles

Add £50 for free Standard shipping

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009 Mew Media Ltd.