Labourer's electric shock underlines warning sign value
A Cannock-based steel fabrications firm has been fined £3,000 after one of its employees suffered an electric shock, highlighting the importance of warning signs.
The 21-year-old Hickman Engineering labourer sustained burns to his legs, chest, fingers and wrist after being electrocuted by a machine on August 11th 2009.
A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation revealed that the electrical cabling belonging to the machine's saw had been inadequately repaired with tape.
As a result, the man sustained the electric shock despite the machine being switched off at the time.
The company was fined after pleading guilty to breaching Regulations 4(2) and 6(a) of the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 at Stafford Magistrates' Court and was also ordered to pay £1,500 in costs.
HSE inspector Wayne Owen explained that the worker had a narrow escape as he could have been killed in the accident.
He said: "The cable was too long, allowing it to droop onto the workshop floor without any protection, where metal filings were present.
"The design of the machine was not suitable for the conditions of the workshop, and in many respects this was something just waiting to happen."
Meanwhile, the HSE also revealed this week that Ultimate Industries has been fined £1,000 after one of its employees suffered a crushed vertebra in a fall from height.
Posted by Jason Nicholls
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs