Safety Signs News

Illegal gas fitter prosecuted after hob catches fire

10th February 2014 | Warning Signs

Posted by Jason Nicholls

A gas fitter, illegally operating without being registered, has been prosecuted after a hob he installed was found to be dangerous. Michael Rowe, from Bodmin in Cornwall, was fined £2,000 for breaching health and safety regulations.

Mr Rowe had been hired to install a liquid petroleum gas (LPG) hob at a house in Trispen, near Truro. The manner in which he left the hob was unsafe, and a fire from the gas pipe supplying it later occurred.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Mr Rowe had caused a risk of fire and explosion by improperly installing the hob. Mr Rowe had never been a member of the Gas Safe Register, and was not therefore legally allowed to perform gas installations.

HSE inspector Simon Jones said: "Mr Rowe should not have been carrying out work on gas appliances because he is not qualified or competent to do so.

"His substandard work put the lives of other people at risk. Anyone who works on gas fittings and is not Gas Safe registered is working illegally."ADNFCR-2754-ID-801691597-ADNFCR


There are no results for this search


Related Articles

Add £50 for free Standard shipping

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009 Mew Media Ltd.