Safety Signs News

Housing association fined after security guard poisoning

12th April 2010 | Health and Safety Signs

A housing association in Motherwell has been hit with a £70,000 fine after one of its security guards died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The guard was working on a construction site in Burbank, Hamilton on February 6th 2008 when he suffered fatal injuries after inhaling fumes from a petrol generator.

Clyde Valley Housing Association pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act and was handed the fine during a hearing at Hamilton Sheriff Court.

"It shall be the duty of every employer to conduct his undertaking in such a way as to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that persons not in his employment who may be effected thereby are not thereby exposed to risks to their health or safety," states the relevant section of the act.

Incidents of this nature categorically underline the importance of placing relevant safety signs on construction sites.

Last week, specialist boring equipment manufacturer Rigibore was fined £3,000 and ordered to pay £3,419.50 in costs for a string of health and safety-related offences.

Posted by Jason NichollsADNFCR-2754-ID-19716039-ADNFCR

RESULTS: 924 PRODUCTS

RESULTS: 924 PRODUCTS

Related Articles


Add £45 for free Standard shipping

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009 Mew Media Ltd.