Hospital fined after young cerebral palsy sufferer dies
An Essex-based hospital has been fined following the death of a young man it was caring for, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has confirmed.
The 20-year-old, who was blind, deaf, quadriplegic and had cerebral palsy, was being treated at Basildon and Thurrock University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
However, he died from asphyxiation on October 12th 2006 when his head became trapped between the bottom rail of his bed and the bed itself.
Basildon Crown Court heard that no risk assessment had been carried out on the bed, despite a similar incident occurring during a previous stay which left the man with bruising and a bleeding mouth.
The hospital pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was fined £50,000 and ordered to pay costs of £40,000.
"This was an entirely preventable incident that resulted in the death of a vulnerable and much-loved young man," said HSE inspector Sue Matthews.
"Hospitals are subject to the same safety regulations as any other organisation and HSE will ensure that those who breach health and safety requirements, or fail in their responsibilities, are held to account."
Meanwhile, Alpha Group Security was recently fined after one of its guards died from carbon monoxide poisoning at a construction site in Hamilton.
Posted by Ben Alexander
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs