Safety Signs News

Gas fitter left property at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning

10th February 2014 | Warning Signs

Posted by Nicole Stevens

A household was left at risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning after an unregistered gas fitter improperly installed a boiler. The flue of the boiler was not properly sealed, which potentially could have caused CO to re-enter the property.

Guy Radford, trading as Radford Plumbing, was not a Gas Safe registered engineer, and so was not legally allowed to carry out gas work. Luckily, the householder spotted the warning signs of dodgy work and raised concerns with Gas Safe.

Mr Radford was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), and charged with breaching Regulation 3(3) and Regulation 26(1) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

He pleaded guilty to both breaches, and was given a two-year conditional discharge and ordered to pay £353 in costs.

Russell Kramer, chief executive of Gas Safe Register, said: "Of the illegal jobs Gas Safe Register investigates, around one in five are found to be immediately dangerous, posing a threat to life or property. You can check an engineer is registered by asking to see their Gas Safe ID card."ADNFCR-2754-ID-801691598-ADNFCR


There are no results for this search


Related Articles

Add £50 for free Standard shipping

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009 Mew Media Ltd.