Firms hit with fine after roofer's fall from height
Two firms from Gloucestershire have been fined after a man suffered serious injuries in a fall from height, underlining the importance of safety signs.
The 40-year-old contractor was working on the roof of a sawmill building in Coleford on June 1st 2007 when he fell through a fragile skylight, sustaining severe damage to his head.
At Gloucester Magistrates' Court, Woodgate Sawmills pleaded guilty to four breaches of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 1994 and 2007 and was fined £13,320 and ordered to pay costs of £14,443.
In addition, the roofer's father and his firm, Longhope Welding Company, admitted to contravening Section 2(1) and 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and were fined £26,660 and ordered to pay £14,443 in costs.
"This incident highlights the extremely serious risks posed by working at height if adequate safety protection measures are not in place," said Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspector Annette Walker.
"The investigation revealed significant failures in the safe systems of work for the removal of the roof sheets and also significant failure to control risks of working at height during all of the stages of the sawmill refurbishment."
Construction companies are urged by the HSE to use appropriate warning signs to protect their employees while working at height.
Posted by Ben Alexander
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs