Firm fined after meat mincer injury
Posted by Ben Alexander.
A Brighton firm has been fined £5,000 after a young trainee seriously injured his arm when it became trapped in a meat mincer, highlighting the importance of health and safety signs.
Malpass Direct, a meat processing firm, was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) for poor supervision of the 16-year-old employee.
The worker was alone when he used the mincer to make sausage mix in August 2009, Brighton Magistrates' Court heard.
When the device jammed, the trainee lifted its hopper lid to deal with the blockage but his left arm became trapped. He suffered extensive bone damage and received significant muscle loss to his left forearm, losing movement in two fingers.
An investigation by the HSE found that staff absences meant there was no one to adequately supervise the trainee. It was also found that the firm often disabled the interlock on the mincer lid to allow sausage mix to be made.
Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Graham Goodenough said: "This incident was completely avoidable and has left a young man with permanent injuries.
"The level of supervision Malpass Direct offered in this instance was unacceptable and the company could have taken simple measures to prevent unsupervised use of the mincing machine by this trainee."
The company was also ordered to pay costs of £4,005.20.
Recently, packaged salads firm Soleco was fined £10,000 when a man had his forearm broken when it was pulled into a moving conveyor.
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs