Fire in university highlights importance of fire safety signs
Posted by Jason Nicholls
The importance of fire safety signs has been highlighted after university students were evacuated when a saucepan caught fire at their halls of residence.
Around 40 students from the University of Hertfordshire had to be evacuated after a metal saucepan was placed in a microwave, the St Albans and Harpenden Review reported.
Three fire engines attended the scene and managed to extinguish the fire, however the flames had already caused serious damage to the kitchen.
Crew commander Steve Duncan told the news provider "They must have put the saucepan in to heat something up and then just gone away and left it.
"It would have been sparking and flashing everywhere before the fire started.
"When we got there were about 40 students who had already been evacuated."
Figures from the Fire Statistics UK show that the number of fires has reduced by almost half since 2003/04, falling from almost 500,000 incidents to just 250,000, however fire signs are still an important way to reduce the risk of fire whether at home or in the workplace.
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs