Farm worker injured in dangerous lifting operation
Posted by Ben Alexander
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has prosecuted a farming business in Suffolk after one of its workers was grievously injured. It was found that safety failings had caused the accident.
The worker was retrieving some seed potatoes from a shelf six metres up. In order to reach the height, employees had access to a cage that could be lifted with a forklift. However, employees often could not find this cage, so used a potato box instead.
In this instance, the employee was lifted in the potato box. While three metres up, he instructed his colleague operating the forklift to stop so he could free a curtain.
When the forklift restarted, the unsecured potato box wobbled and sent the employee crashing to the floor below.
He suffered a broken shoulder blade, seven fractured ribs, two chipped vertebrae, a cracked pelvic cradle and a serious head injury.
The HSE found that, although a safe working practice had been provided, the farm had not been checking that it was being utilised.
Richard Mann, Alexis Mann and Christopher Mann, of Stangrove Hall Farm and Hill Farm, all pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.
They were jointly fined £3,000 and ordered to pay combined costs of £993, including a victim surcharge.
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs