Council fined after worker death at landfill site
Fermanagh District Council has been hit with a £45,000 fine after one of its workers died at a landfill site, it emerged today (March 19th).
The digger operator succumbed to brain damage after the ground under the vehicle he was driving collapsed at the Drummee waste management facility in April 2008.
At a court hearing, the council pleaded guilty to breaching Articles 4 and 5 of the Health and Safety at Work (NI) Order 1978, incurring fines of £5,000 and £40,000 respectively for the offences.
"It is essential that all work activities are properly assessed and plans put in place to protect everyone from danger," said Health and Safety Executive Northern Ireland inspector Kevin Campbell.
"Systems of work should be completed, documented and communicated to the workforce."
The council said it regretted the tragedy and vowed to ensure that this type of incident - which highlights the importance of safety signs - "doesn't happen again".
Earlier this week, Blairish Restorations was fined after two of its employees were admitted to hospital after suffering from acute lead poisoning.
Posted by Ben Alexander
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs