Safety Signs News

Council fined after health and safety failing

5th November 2013 | Health and Safety Signs

Posted by Ben Alexander

Fife Council has been fined after an accident whilst undertaking chainsaw work caused a school janitor to lose his toe.

The council was prosecuted on November 4th, and was found by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) to have “failed to assess risks, implement a safe system of work and instruct and supervise employees on a dangerous task”.

The incident occurred on January 11th 2012. Craig Davies, then aged 39, was using a chainsaw to cut up an ash tree that had fallen near Canmore Primary School in Dunfermline.

Mr Davies climbed onto the trunk in order to cut through a limb that was above shoulder height, which subsequently fell and trapped his foot against the tree.

After three surgeries, doctors were unable to save one of his toes. He required three months of recuperation before he could return to work.

Fife Council pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. It was fined £20,000.ADNFCR-2754-ID-801657052-ADNFCR


There are no results for this search


Related Articles

Add £50 for free Standard shipping

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009 Mew Media Ltd.