Safety Signs News

Council fined after electrician's death

23rd June 2010 | Warning Signs

A council in Scotland has been hit with a five-figure fine after the death of one of its employees, it has been confirmed.

The electrician was working on a mobile elevated platform in the gym at Kilmarnock Academy on April 6th 2009 when he fell to the ground, suffering fatal injuries.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) revealed that the 35-year-old and his colleague had not received suitable training for using the airlift.

His employer, East Ayrshire Council, admitted to breaching Section 2 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was fined £56,000 at Kilmarnock Sheriff Court.

"This was a tragic incident which highlights once again the very real risks of working at height and the consequences of failing to take reasonable safety precautions," said HSE inspector Barry Baker.

Companies should use safety signs to help protect their employees while working at height, particularly as more than 4,000 people were injured in this way during 2008-09.

Posted by Nicole StevensADNFCR-2754-ID-19853985-ADNFCR


There are no results for this search


Related Articles

Add £50 for free Standard shipping

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009 Mew Media Ltd.