Council and contractor fined as family are exposed to asbestos
City of Lincoln Council and its contractor have been hit with fines after being found guilty of asbestos-related offences.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) reported the council and County Waste (Lincs) Ltd after they oversaw the faulty removal of asbestos insulation boards.
As a result of the move, which relates to the refurbishment of a bathroom in Lincoln in June 2008, a family was left exposed to dangerous asbestos fibres for three days.
Lincoln Magistrates' Court heard that the employee undertaking the work had not received suitable information or training, while the contractor did not have an asbestos licence.
The council was fined £10,000 and ordered to pay costs of £12,000 after admitting a string of offences, while County Waste was fined £4,250 and ordered to pay costs of £6,000.
HSE inspector Martin Giles said: "The council failed to ensure the contractor was competent to carry out the work and had no procedures in place to be followed in the event of serious and imminent danger to its employees.
"It failed to protect its tenants and ensure that they were not exposed to risks to their health following the release of asbestos fibres."
Meanwhile, development firm Norwegian Homes was recently fined £4,500 and ordered to pay £11,959 in costs after breaching Regulation 15 of the Control of Asbestos at Work Regulations.
Posted by Nicole Stevens
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs