Safety Signs News

Cornish landlord puts lives in danger with gas boiler

10th October 2013 | Health and Safety Signs

Posted by Jason Nicholls

A Cornish landlord has endangered the lives of neighbours by completing work on a gas boiler without the necessary qualifications.

Shaun Johnson removed an old gas boiler and replaced it with a new one, but he used the existing flue, putting the homeowners at risk of an explosion of carbon monoxide gas.

Mr Johnson, of Old Road, Liskeard, pleaded guilty to two breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. He was fined a total of £4,000 and ordered to pay costs of £288.

HSE inspector Simon Jones said: "Mr Johnson tried to save money by removing an old gas boiler and replacing it with a new one himself, but his work had the potential to endanger lives – not just of anyone in the house itself, but also in neighbouring properties had there been an explosion."

Mr Jones explained gas work should be carried out by Gas Safe registered engineers who are properly trained.ADNFCR-2754-ID-801648035-ADNFCR


There are no results for this search


Related Articles

Add £50 for free Standard shipping

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009 Mew Media Ltd.