Construction worker left paralysed after fall
A construction worker from Kettering was left paralysed from the chest down after a fall from height, underlining the importance of safety signs.
The man was installing a new racking system at a site in Glossop on February 8th 2007 when he fell nine metres on to a concrete floor below.
SDI Group UK and Steel Construction Ltd, the two companies involved at the site, both pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.
At a Lincoln Crown Court hearing, the former was fined £80,000 and ordered to pay £20,000 in costs, with the latter receiving a £50,000 fine and a £22,000 bill for costs.
In addition, Richard Berwick, managing director of RM Berwick Steel Erection Services, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 37 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.
He was hit with a £40,000 fine and ordered to pay £5,000 in costs, while also receiving a four-year disqualification as a director.
"It is unacceptable that a young man should suffer such life-changing injuries while just trying to do his job," said Health and Safety Executive inspector Kevin Wilson.
"Companies should adequately plan for working at height and ensure fall protection and mitigation measures are in place so incidents like this do not happen."
Posted by Jason Nicholls
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs