Company fined for workers' fall from height
A company charged with fixing a hotel sign has been fined after two men were injured during the work, it has been confirmed.
Sohail Hussain, trading as Haris Signs, was called into the Metro Inn in Stockton on November 19th 2008 to repair the wind-damaged sign above the entrance.
He erected a 4.5m scaffolding platform and placed a ladder on top of it, meaning he was some 28ft off the ground while attempting to tackle the damage to the sign.
But with his co-worker standing on the platform with no rail guards, the blustery conditions caused it to give way, with both men crashing to the ground.
Mr Hussain suffered injuries to his knee, while the other man sustained a fractured right wrist and dislocated his right elbow.
The 40-year-old admitted to breaching Regulation 6 of the Work at Height Regulations at Teesside Magistrates' Court and was fined £1,000 and ordered to pay costs of £1,000.
"Both Mr Hussain and the other man are lucky to be alive," said Health and Safety Executive inspector Jonathan Wills.
"The platform erected by Mr Hussain bore no resemblance to the correct standard. This incident was entirely avoidable and should not have happened."
Working at height is one of the most common causes for injuries at sites across the UK, which highlights the importance of using appropriate warning signs.
Posted by Jason Nicholls
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs